Our motto: In Partnership With Nature В партнерстве с природой!

Smirnovsky spring

By the beginning of the 60th years of the XIX century the period of state management of Caucasus Mineralnye Vody came to an end, at that period happened formation of health resorts and many sources of mineral water were explored, also for vacationers were created conditions of reception and treatment.

Н.А. Новосельский

Since that time it begins the new stage of development of the Caucasian resort. State management was abolished, and Waters were transferred to the first private managing director, privy councilor Nikolay Aleksandrovich Novoselsky. N.A.Novoselsky repeatedly proved his spirit of enterprise and decency at creating of the Russian society of steam shipping and trading, creating a private steam shipping on the Black Sea and later when he held a position of the mayor of Odessa. According to the Decree of Emperor Alexander II in 1861 N.A.Novoselsky started administrating all curative springs in Stavropol province area with all located there lands, gardens, economic, medical and other institutions for a period of 8 years. Since that moment N.A.Novoselsky began to receive all income from the resort and together with this he received a huge load of duties on full and faultless providing the Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region with all that it needs.

It is N.A.Novoselsky who invited Moscow doctor Simeon Alekseevich Smirnov for direct managing of Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region. Besides direct researching of mineral water S.A.Smirnov did huge work on development of the Caucasian resorts. In 1863 S.A.Smirnov found the Russia’s first balneal society in Pyatigorsk and for almost 33 years have been its chairman. He was first who introduced practice of separating patients to groups instead of existing tradition of treating patients serially in all four resorts of Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region. On Smirnov’s initiative in 1863 it was established a list of visitors of Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region” — the first newspaper for vacationers.

However most important thing Smirnov did was opening on Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region in 1866 of the hot mineral spring later named after him. Earlier at that place there was a self-running source of mineral water among local people called “Gryaznushka” because of the negligence and a large amount of silted mineral dirt around. After S.A.Smirnov with group of workers cleared a source on a bottom he found about one and a half dozen holes the clean warm mineral water enriched with carbon dioxide was running through.

С.А. СмирновThe chemical researches showed a large amount of iron in this water, so it was recommended as drinking for gastric diseases treatment. Then spring was completely cleared, revetted with stone and mineral water was directed by wooden pipes to bathtubs or for consuming by vacationers. For this purpose in the 1880th years were built two pump rooms. The technical equipping of a source was entrusted to French hydraulic engineer Jules François, a contract with him was signed in 1874 by another renter of Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region, the valid councilor of state Andrey Matveevich Baykov.

According to the petition of the Russian Balneal Society in 1898 in connection with the 60-th anniversary of medical activity of Simeon Alekseevich Smirnov and in commemoration of his merits at Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region it was named – “Smirnovsky”. In 1926-1928 another eminent Russian scientist-hydrogeologist N. N. Slavyanov brought on a surface two more Smirnovsky sources of mineral water – “Smirnovsky №2” and “Smirnovsky №3”, the last one was renamed later into “Semashko”.

On all those three springs in 1930 according to the project of the architect P.P. Eskov was built a gallery in style of the constructivism, which was one of the best constructions of small forms on Caucasus Mineralnye Vody region.