Our motto: In Partnership With Nature В партнерстве с природой!

Eessentuky springs

For the first time the Eessentuky sources of mineral waters were described by known Moscow doctor Feodor Petrovitch Gaaz who visited Caucasus Mineral Waters region in 1809 and 1810. In 1810 he discovered hot springs on the southern slope of the mountain “Jeleznaya”, the same year he learned for the first time about existence of mineral sources in a valley of the river “Bugunta”. After close inspection F.M.Gaaz’s described four sources of mineral water in that area, but because of their extremely low flow rate he didn’t attach great importance to those.

А.П. Нелюбин

Only in 1823 they were newly described and properly estimated by the professor of the Petersburg Medico-surgical academy Alexander Petrovitch Nelyubin. Surveying the region of Buguntinsky sources A.P. Nelubin counted 18 sources of mineral water to which he gave numbers one after another from No. 1 to No. 18. All of them had alkaline mineralization. Besides he found and described 5 more sources from No. 19 on No. 23 which he ascribes to sulfur-alkaline group.

With the Royal order in 1825 on the river Bugunta at 3.5 km to the northeast from the Eessentuky post the Eessentukskaya village was found.

However till the middle of 50th years of the XIX century the use for the Eessentuky sources of mineral waters was not founded. Residents of the village were drinking water from the springs and bathed in holes digged near sources almost not protected from a contamination. Coming patients took bathtubs at homes of locals.

The new stage of development of the Eessentuky resort and mineral waters of the Eessentuky sources began in 1846 when with the Royal order Caucasus Mineral Waters region was transferred to management of the Deputy of the Caucasian duke M. S. Vorontsov.

Ф.М. Гааз

Since 1847 the Eessentuky mineral water sources and the territory surrounding them were redeemed from the Cossack Army and transferred to specially founded Management of Waters in Pyatigorsk. At this time the number of vacationers at the Eessentuky resort considerably increased what led to the prompt growth of a village which by order of Vorontsov was expanded in 1846 to the northeast and approached the sources.

Industrial bottling and selling of mineral water in Russia began with the Eessentuky sources. The first mention of it is dated 1848 when 300 bottles of mineral water from the Eessentuky sources were sent to Admiral M. P. Lazarev in town Nikolaev.

In the 1860th years bottles with Eessentuky mineral water were dispatched to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Rostov, Vladikavkaz, Tiflis. Those years mineral water of the Eessentuky sources gained wide recognition not only in Russia, but also abroad where it was highly appreciated for flavoring qualities and curative properties. The company that was exporting Eessentuky mineral waters had its warehouses in Paris, London, Prague and other cities of Europe. At the beginning of the 1870th years mineral water of the Eessentuky sources was selling almost in all large cities of Russia.

In 1875 railroad construction from Rostov to station Mineralnye Vody and road from Mineralnye Vody to Kislovodsk through Pyatigorsk and Eessentuky was complete. Between these resorts was established stagecoaches connection. All this increased number of vacationers to almost 5 000 people in 1883 year.